Fat grafting is a cosmetic procedure where your own fat is used to rejuvenate the face, augment the cheeks or lips, correct problems such as hollowness around the eyes or acne scars. Fat grafting can also be used on other areas of the body such as the buttocks to create a fuller effect. Many people lose facial fat as they age and develop a hollow or gaunt look. Fat grafting can be used to correct this and give a younger, more refreshed look. Fat grafting is also referred to as free fat transfer. Some of the fat reimplanted is reabsorbed within a few months, but some of the augmentation will be permanent.
This is a procedure that can be performed in conjunction with liposuction. Simply stated, the fat deposits from select parts of the body are transferred to other areas in order to improve the appearance by projection. This technique may be used to project areas such as:
- Integumentary Depressions
What to Expect During Your Consultation
The success and safety of your fat graft procedure depends very much on your complete candidness during your consultation. You’ll be asked a number of questions about your health, desires and lifestyle.
Be prepared to discuss:
- Why you want the surgery, your expectations and desired outcome
- Medical conditions, drug allergies and medical treatments
- Use of current medications, vitamins, herbal supplements, alcohol, tobacco and drugs
- Previous surgeries
Your surgeon may also:
- Evaluate your general health status and any pre-existing health conditions or risk factors
- Take photographs for your medical record
- Discuss your options and recommend a course of treatment
- Discuss likely outcomes of liposuction and any risks or potential complications