All Breast Augmentation procedures have post surgical effects learn about your procedure
Breast augmentation surgery is a procedure that is performed more often than you might imagine. It is actually the most frequently performed plastic surgery across the country. This procedure is highly successful in helping women achieve the appearance they desire for their breasts, by increasing the breast size and enhancing their shape. Our Tampa plastic surgeon, Jamie Perez, has years of experience performing breast augmentation surgery. Even with the best plastic surgeon, it is important for our Tampa patients to understand that breast augmentation side effects are a normal part of recovery.
Side effects are an unavoidable aspect of recovery from surgery. No matter how successful a surgery is, it is a traumatic experience for the body and all patients will require some time to fully recover. When Dr. Perez gives his patients in Tampa breast augmentation surgery, he makes sure they are aware of the most likely side effects. It is important that you know the side effects that you will experience so that you will be prepared for recovery and also so that you will be aware if any unusual complications occur. Following breast augmentation surgery, the following are some of the most likely side effects that our patients will experience:
- Swelling: Swelling is a normal side effect of breast augmentation surgery. You can expect your breasts to feel large, tight, and heavy. Compression bandages or garments can help ease swelling.
- Pain: You can expect to experience moderate pain following surgery as a result of the muscles being stretched and manipulated to make room for the breast implant. This will ease over time as your body recovers and as the breast implants settle into position. You will be prescribed pain medication to help you manage your discomfort.
- Bruising: You will most likely experience bruising on the breasts and surrounding area for up to two weeks following breast augmentation surgery.
- Itching: As the skin stretches to accommodate the breast implants, you will experience some itching. Dr. Perez can recommend a lotion or anti-itching cream but it will be very important for you to avoid getting any lotion in the incision area.
- Loss of sensation: During breast augmentation surgery, the nerves can be affected, causing temporary numbness or loss of sensation in the breasts and/or nipples. This problem should correct itself.
- Scarring: Every breast augmentation will result in scarring. The degree of scarring and the location of the scar will be determined by the incision site and surgical technique used during your breast augmentation surgery. This can be discussed with Dr. Perez.
All of these are normal side effects that should subside within the first couple of weeks after surgery. If these side effects do not subside, or if you notice any side effects that seem unusual, see Dr. Perez to discuss your concerns.
Schedule a Consultation
Schedule a consultation with Dr. Jamie Perez to learn more about breast augmentation surgery and recovery. Most of our patients find that the results they gain from breast augmentation surgery are well worth the recovery and side effects they experience.