Dr. Traci M. Temmen, a board-certified plastic surgeon at the Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa in Tampa, Florida, gives her advice on how patients can more effectively evaluate before and after breast augmentation photographs while searching for information about breast implant surgery on the internet.
Here are Dr. Traci M. Temmen’s guidelines for viewing before and after breast augmentation photos in Tampa, St. Petersburg, and Clearwater, Florida:
1. Make sure the surgeon is a board-certified plastic surgeon, certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Many surgeons may state that they are “board-certified”, but are actually certified in general surgery, medicine, Ob-Gyn, etc… and have had no formal plastic surgery training. Hard to believe, but true!
2. While reviewing the before and after breast augmentation photos, make sure the plastic surgeon uses a variety of incision types, implant locations, and sizes and does not provide a “one size fits all” type of breast augmentation surgery for all patients. You want a plastic surgeon that will tailor your surgery to your individual needs and anatomy.
3. Look for patients that are similar to your age, build, and with a similar breast history (i.e. number of pregnancies, previous breast surgery, etc…).
4. Look for a plastic surgeon with a large number of before and after breast augmentation photos that are aesthetically pleasing and seem of appropriate size to you. Try to choose a plastic surgeon with similar ideas of beauty as you.
5. Look for evidence of before and after photograph editing- stay away from these surgeons!
6. When choosing to see a plastic surgeon in consultation, ask if there are more before and after breast implant photos available for you to see during the consultation. Try to see a wide range of the plastic surgeon’s results, not just the best before and after photographs that may be chosen for the internet website.
7. Finally, look for internet reviews or get recommendations from friends and family members on who they believe is the best plastic surgeon in the Tampa Bay region. Usually, breast augmentation patients are happy to share their experience and offer advice and recommendations to others considering breast implants.
Traci M. Temmen, M.D.
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa, Florida